Friday, April 3, 2009

Hammer time and more on iodine

Today I recycled some horseshoes and untwisted and hammered them back to almost new condition. If I can get 2 bends out of them that will bring my costs down. Only did "S" ones, hearts would just be too much work. My forearms are a bit tired from the event, so not only do I get another chance at the shoe but I got a little workout in the process.

I had a comment about iodine deficiency and our salt use, so I'll expound. Most people are salt phobic (which is pretty silly but that's another discussion, salt is very beneficial to health) and eventhough they are getting sodium in processed foods, I doubt it is iodized salt.
Secondly, if you remember back to your high school chemistry class and the periodic table we see iodine is a halide, which puts it in the category with fluorine, bromine and chlorine. They all compete for receptor sites in the body. Fluorine is in the water and toothpaste, chlorine is in the water and even if you filter it you still get it vaporized from the shower and bromine is used in baked goods. So not only are we not getting iodine but we are being inundated with things that displace it.
The RDA for iodine is only enough to prevent goiter and is set at 150 micrograms. Dr. Lugol and now Dr. Abraham are demonstrating that an optimal daily intake is 12.5 mg, this dosage is regularly consumed by the Japanese. 12.5 mg is nearly 100 times the RDA. Dr. Abraham is using a loading dose of 50 mg for 90 days just to get people back to optimal saturation (yep, that's alot of iodine, you can't eat enough salt or kelp to get those levels), then using a Lugol's dose of 12.5 mg.
I do recommend caution using these higher doses, especially too rapidly.

No comments: