Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thing a day

Starting the new year I'm starting a new routine. Hopefully this weekend I can get my hands on a bigger bell to test the results of the Radiant Dawn program I finished.
But this week begins an idea from Dan John, the 40 day workout. Very similar to PTTP concept, you perform the same exercises daily at sub-max levels to perfect your movement. I'm doing this with biofeedback so it may not be the exact exercise daily but at least similar movement patterns. The plan is to warm up with some kind of squat movement. Then a posterior chain move such as DL , an upper body push and upper body pull. Then a ballistic ala swing or snatch and wrap it up with an anterior chain like the ab wheel.
Last night goblet squat tested well. Single leg DL beat out conventional and sumo DL. Ring pushups beat BB press and kb push press. Chins trumped pullup and 1 arm row. Snatches tested well at 16 kg and ab wheel kneeling roll outs. Which I've been feeling all day. 1 set of 5 sure beats 200 crunches.
I am going to try to test to see if performing exercises in a certain sequence tests better. Not sure how that will work out but I'll keep you posted.

Today conventional DL, BB press and chins tested best. Squatting as a warmup didn't test well today. First set of DL and chins for reps didn't test as well so I adjusted the amount of tension I was using and both improved on 2nd set. Snatches and swings tested equally well today so I went with snatches. Kneeling ab wheel tested well again today. Finished up both days with frog stretch and it tested well also. My warm-ups usually consist of ASLR and toe touch drills from FMS, Brettzel, etc if they test well and they usually do. I also do some stick work to quads, TFL and ITB and it always tests well. I throw in some joint mobility such as ankle tilts, toe pulls and thoracic AP glide if they test well but they've been all over the place. Some work, some don't , some only work on one side. I've seen several folks saying that static stretching, massage and foam rolling are bad and joint mobility is good but for me, that doesn't seem to be the case. But like Adam says, don't believe anyone because what works for them might not be the best for you. TEST IT before you take someone's word for what's good or bad.

No comments: