Saturday, January 19, 2008

Dry skin and fat burning

I have dry skin that gets worse in the winter. I hear that it is pretty common. The moisture in our skin does not come from the water we drink but is a by product of fat metabolism inside the cell. Those of you who know me know I don't have a lot of body fat, it usually runs around 11-12%. But my dry skin is an indication of impaired fat metabolism, which takes place in the liver. I've always had a bit of a weak liver, either inherited (but not genetic) or damaged as a kid from poor diet or more likely a combination of both. So anyway, I started taking a couple products to help my dry skin, Choline which is a component of the B complex and Livaplex which is a combination product. It supports bile flow and phase I and II liver detoxification. Both are Standard Process products and are whole food based. My skin is still a little dry but I noticed a loss of body fat, now I'm running around 8-9% with a loss of "stubborn belly fat" (LOL, to quote the commercial). That's a nice little side effect of getting my body to work better and improving cellular metabolism.
As I've said before, people with excess body fat is not a function of calories in vs. calories out. It's not about starving yourself or spending an extra 45 mins on the treadmill (see irontamer blog for more on cardio). The fat is only a symptom of an unhealthy body, impaired metabolism and organs functioning on a sub par level. You get the body and the organs healthy by feeding it real nutrients and the result is the symptom of fat gain goes away.

No comments: