Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another one bites the dust

Today I bent another piece of 3/16" square x 7" . This one was done all in one setting as they should be. I think these new accomplishments can be attributed to a couple factors. One is the obvious of getting stronger, doing some wrist strengthening and lever work and some volume on easier stuff. The tendency is to want to keep progressing to harder and harder but you really have to put in the time with stock that is well within your range and just do a bunch of them to establish proper motor learning pathways. The second reason is I changed my stance a little. I watch most of Adam Glass's bending accomplishments which he posts on youtube, and there are plenty to watch because he is setting new PR's all the time. But I noticed he had an offset stance with one leg ahead of the other, prior to this I was using a balanced isosceles stance. I think the new stance allows better transfer of power. I also am focusing more on recruiting my lats. And lastly is finding the sweet spot. I'm feeling the ends of the steel in my palms and focusing on bringing the two ends together. I'll be picking up a nice big quantity of 3/16" round CRS this week and continue with my volume on 5" stock just to improve speed and technique. This will be the bulk of my training, followed by the pole barn nails and then the occasional square stock just to test my progress. I'll continue with the crush lever grip and some chest crush lifts.

No comments: